fbpx

Let's get down to business.

• THECOLLECTIVE

Business Owner

@thecollective

How to communicate our key messages through marketing mediums on a shoe-string budget :)

Question submitted 07/09/21 @ 05:06am

Kia Ora team, What an awesome initiative! The Collective is a social enterprise I set up in 2014 to support mental health through sustainability after my own personal journey with post-natal depression. We source, restore and sell stylish second-hand goods with 50% of the profits on all donated items going to The Mental Health Foundation of NZ. One of the problems I face is how to effectively communicate our key messages in a succinct and effective way that can be used for a variety of marketing mediums and/or knowing which mediums to use for which messages on a shoe-string budget. Much of our focus has been on social media, and I muddle my way through this though feel there is much I could do in terms of content, collabs etc to grow our followers in an authentic and engaging way. Our social media handle is @thecollectiveaotearoa. Website address is www.thecollective.co.nz. Some of our clothing is donated, however, our furniture and homeware we typically buy through various sources. What we need is to balance this with more donated items, reducing our overall costs and delivering more funds to The Mental Health Foundation. We are only geared up to pick up furniture donations, so anything else needs to be delivered to our store on the North Shore. Below are what I would consider our key messages: 1. Buy quality preloved goods and support mental health 2. Donate your goods and support mental health 3. We’ll buy your furniture/homewares We have a big challenge ahead as we move to a new premises in level 3 that will effectively make us a destination store (we have gone from a store with foot traffic) with increased costs so marketing/advertising will be critical to our success. Love to hear any suggestions/feedback… Cheers, Louise

Category: Brand & Marketing
      • Comments

• Views

• Shares

• Vicky Taylor

Business Owner

@vicky-taylor

Reply submitted 07/09/21 @ 05:06am

Up
        Down
        ::

Morena Louise – what a great initiative. So many good questions here!

Great that you are so focused on your key messages – simplicity and clarity are key to successful communication.

I am a great one for learning and growth, and also for accelerated short cuts – so here’s an idea. Why not approach a few creative/media agencies with a proposal to request some time for free to support you, get a creative and media strategy in place for the next 6 months that might include social media, collaborations, etc. Many work places want to send a strong positive message around mental health – and you can help them do that, while supporting the growth of your organization, and the growth of your donations….while learning along the way. It could be a win-win-win!

• Shares

• THECOLLECTIVE

Business Owner

@thecollective

Up
          Down

Hey Vicky, thanks so much for responding! I have approached a few in the past with no luck, but perhaps my approach wasn’t the right one, do you have any advice on what to include in the proposal and any organisations that might be willing to work with a social enterprise (as opposed to a charity?). I love the whole concept of social enterprise as a self-sustainable business doing good in the community, I think its innovative and progressive and the way forward, however, I wonder if there is an element of not being able to access the help as easily as a charity/not for profit organisation who deliver 100% of their profits?
          I won’t give up though and am encouraged by your reply!

• Shares

• Vicky Taylor

Business Owner

@vicky-taylor

Up
        Down

Wow…good questions. Let me chat with a connected friend and come back to you….

• Shares

• THECOLLECTIVE

Business Owner

@thecollective

Up
          Down

amazing, thank you!

• Shares

• Carolyn Kerr

Business Owner

@carokerr

Up
        Down

Hi Louise, your work and mission has struck a chord. I have some initial thoughts based on your post … I agree with Vicky that getting your messages crisp and clear is critical, and I’d add including evidence (e.g. the demonstrable impact your service makes in numbers or proof points) goes a long way so people know how their support helps. Your partnership with the Mental Health Foundation could be worked harder, especially with Mental Health Awareness week coming up e.g. tapping into their large social following through a call to action post from them linked to The Collective could be powerful as endorsement from them. Likewise, identifying a few social influencers to partner with, those who have an interest in homewares, fashion and supporting the community, would enable you to expand your audience. I have three junior comms team members who would like to offer you a complimentary brainstorm to come up with some other communication/PR ideas for you, they’ll just need a 15 min briefing call with you first to clarify questions they may have or for you to provide more info about your comms/marketing activity. After the brainstorm they’ll send you typed notes. If you’d like to take this up, please get in touch carolyn@anthem.co.nz.

• Shares

• THECOLLECTIVE

Business Owner

@thecollective

Up
          Down

Thanks Carolyn, will definitely touch base 🙂

• Shares

• Ciyapa Official

Business Owner

@ciyapa-official

Up
        Down

I’m amazing at learning and developing, as well as taking rapid shortcuts, so here’s a suggestion.
        ciyapa

• Shares

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.