Hi, yes I agree with Phil – talk to your landlord. If you have a good history I am sure they would much prefer to come to a fair arrangement with you than to take a harsh line and be faced with having to find another tenant – there will not be a lot of potential new tenants around.

If your landlord doesn’t cooperate the government is about to introduce changes to give more an additional 20 working day for a commercial tenant to catch up on overdue rent before the landlord can terminate.

My understanding of the chair arrangements that many hairdressers run is that people who rent chairs are effectively self-employed, and you are effectively their landlord. So by stopping paying they will be in breach of their contract with you. If they have a notice period under the chair agreement they would be required to pay the chair rental for the notice period, and if you don’t have a formal agreement with them there would likely be some form of deemed notice requirement (if they pay on a monthly basis this is likely to be a month). However if they are not fronting up with the money they owe you then you would need to take debt collection action.