Hi Ryan, I am very sorry to hear this has happened to you. If you haven’t already done so, email the banki. If you have not contacted the Police by now what you can do – is let the Police know online what happened. Here is the link:https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-services/all-online-options?nondesktop It’s an efficient way of keeping track of everything that happened as you get a special number. If there are updates, you just need to go back online, recall the reference number, and the Police will get back to you.

-The other matter. Without knowing your full situation but I understand you are just wanting some thoughts, are you able to let the suppliers and staff know what happened? Do you have a bit of money at the least – for your staff members that you can pass on -and come to some arrangement when you will pay the staff member(s) the rest. Can you make alternative payment arrangements with the Supplier – or through their Sales Rep?

I hope this helps in some way. Just take baby steps. Many will understand the plight you are in. Regards, Fiona.