In our case we looked at our customers and thought, ‘out of all of the things we want to talk with them about right now, what are the one or two things that they have the time and interest in discussing with us right now.

As an example we could talk about the benefits of our service and platform, driving transformation in their business or sustainability, however we realize that the customer appetite is only there for:

1. How we can save them money so they can reallocate that to supporting their business and employees, and MAYBE
2. How we can help them achieve greater flexibility in their contracts to minimize the impact of extended lock-down or a similar event in future (on this we expect most customers to be focused on NOW, not FUTURE)

The category and the customer spend will have a bearing on the level of engagement you can expect.

It is fair to say that customers are working their way through a long list at the moment that includes keeping their business operating, keeping as many employees as possible on the books, dealing with their largest costs premises, plant and equipment etc.

I don’t know what your business is and I’m not suggesting you be a spectator but I think you will benefit from deeply considering where your service fits in the list of ‘your customers priorities’ and time your approach accordingly as the amount of noise has reached a new level for most and you don’t want to waste what may be your one approach at the wrong time and have placed yourself in the zone of “do I or don’t I follow up”

When you feel the time is right then you have to nail the customer questions of ‘what’s in it for me?’, ‘why you?’ and ‘why now?’.

I hope that helps and I wish you all the best in this tough time.

Cheers,
Brendan